We did it!
Seekers are delighted to announce that we have been successful with our grant application to the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Our project 'Celebrating 100 Years Of The Portsmouth Club' kicks off in March 2019 and will run until 2021.
Main mission: To engage, educate, inform and develop at least 200 young people about the history of the Portsmouth Sailing Club specifically and the maritime history of Portsmouth in general by 2021
- Host a welcome/recruitment event (including a walking tour of the Millennium Promenade), a mid-point conference, team-building events, and a final presentation.
- Recruit young volunteers and train them in archival research skills, oral history interviewing, drone use and video editing/production.
- Research the history of Portsmouth Sailing Club, its surrounding area and the Solent, using local collections/archives, oral history interviews with Portsmouth Sailing Club members, video and drone footage recording, and experiences such as guided walking tours and sailing trips.
- Create timelines of Portsmouth Sailing Club and design self-guided heritage trails around the area.
- Share learning, trails and timelines through videos, online outputs and social media, booklets, and resource packs.
- Deliver a two-day celebration and a two-month exhibition at Portsmouth Sailing Club, commemorating its centenary.
- Include high visibility acknowledgement of the National Lottery Heritage Fund online and in all activities, and identify and deliver ways to thank National Lottery players through your project.
Spice Island Trail
Spice Island in Old Portsmouth is a very special place and from the time it was first inhabited in the early 17th century has been one of the most vibrant and interesting areas of Portsmouth with its rich maritime history.